Friday, January 16, 2009

Uncle Bob Was In the Navy

and came to visit me (Terry) when I was 3 weeks old. 9/12/46Terry - I came with Grandma Davitt to the Baptism. I believe she was the Godmother and I the Godfather but checked the records. Some things I can recall - Grandma Davitt was a bit put out as she was offered no cup of tea upon arrival- it was unlike her - but it was her first trip in a plane! I remember at the Christening when the priest asked the name - (meaning the newborn) she responded with a loud, "Mary Davitt" - wherein your Father promptly corrected her - so you could have been named Mary if the Priest was not paying attention.

I was a Midshipman at Fort Schyler at the time - thus the uniform. When I graduated with a Third Mates License they also gave me a Ensign's Commission in the USNR (US Naval Reserves.) I paid for it years later when I was recalled into the Navy during the Korean War and made a Gunnery Officer on repair ship in Sasebo, Japan - but that is another sea story.

Did you know that the davits (they lift the lifeboats) aboard seagoing vessels was invented by a Davitt in 1810 and still holds a patent in England? The Royalties are still passed along to the heirs to this day - but with a condition - as long as that Heir is involved the the Maritime Trades - That's why I went to a Maritime School in order to keep the Royalties being awarded. I can not reveal the amount I receive yearly - because it would void the award. So don't reveal this situation to anyone - because it is not true. Amen - False Chapter 2 to come.
Love -Uncle Remus

No comments: