Friday, January 16, 2009

Flight Suit and Shades

Dad looked like this a lot. I liked his flight suit and in true Digger fashion, he demonstrated the functions of the many pockets and pouches for Greg and me often.

This picture is tagged: Jacksonville, North Carolina, 24 Apr 53.

When we first moved to the area, we lived at Topsail Beach. We had an apartment on the second floor of a duplex. Sand everywhere--no lawn. From the bedroom Greg and I shared, you could see dolphins jumping in the ocean. We stayed there for about 6 months, I think, and then moved to a small house.

That is where the Magic Box became part of our lives. It was a small white box. Dad would bring it down from the shelf every few days, say, "Alla Gazam Gazay-bo" and tap the box. Inside would be a piece of gum, candy, or a penny. The ice cream truck would come down our street every day at the same time. If we saved up the pennies until we had five, we could buy a Popsicle. I remember getting little squares of Chiclets gum and Life Saver candies.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Terry
I was reading and happened to notice something that was odd.On(under) the pics of Digger it said 1953 and in the text it said 1943.Pat and I are 53 babies.Great year it turns out!!!
Talk to you soon.
Scott

Terry Davitt Powell said...

Thanks, Scott. I am thinking that someday down the road we could sort all these posts by the dates of the pictures. So I'm trying to remember to add the year to the tags. I like knowing if you spot any errors.