Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Day, Japan

January 1, 1956It was the custom in the Air Force in those days, to call on your commanding officer on the first day of the year. The commander basically held an open house and you would make your call any time during the prescribed hours. There was always a silver tray by door for calling cards. Sometimes people had the trays made from the engraving plates from their wedding invitations.
This picture is taken in front of our quarters in Castle Heights. You can see the number and "Lt Col R. G. Davitt" on the sign to the left of the door. I think I took the picture with my Box Brownie. Mom was wearing a green knit suit. Check out her handbag--the top trim is made from real tortoise shell.

2 comments:

pat said...

From Pat: I think I have the scarf that Mom used to wear with that suit - gradations from green to yellow? And didn't she have another one that was rust (and the rust to yellow scarf to go with it)?

Terry Davitt Powell said...

I remember a brown suit, too.